Saturday, October 4, 2008

Undirected Blog #5

This class is making me realize that I really do love all kinds of art. I have been using these undirected blogs as a way to discuss my favorite parts of each lesson, and I find myself saying the same things in each one. I love learning about Greek history, mythology, architecture, art, etc...



I think the most interesting parts of this chapter about the actual art are the contrasts and comparisons made about the representation of women and men. I find Greek and Roman mythology fascinating, and the statues and friezes made to glorify the deities are amazing.



I love to look at the strong, female godesses, and while the women in Ancient Greece had no real freedom and had to do whatever they were told by the males in their life, the godesses had a lot more room to move.



For example, the frieze called "Athena Attatcking the Giants" from the Great Altar at Pergamonon on page 162 of our textbook is a story of a female godess winning a battle with a giant male, she is being crowned with a victory wreath by the god, Nike.



I think the frieze is kind of ironic in that a woman is winning a battle with a male even though the women in this time period had no real rights.




Another thing that I find interesting about this chapter is the way the women are portrayed. I find the statues breathtaking. I spent this last summer in New York City, and I was able to go to all of the different major museums and actually saw some of the featured pieces in our text in real life. I love that the women look natural. Their breasts are not huge, their waists are not extremely small, they appear soft and fluid, and for the most part the women look "real."




A few examples:



Aphrodite de Melos

Aphrodite Torso Statue


No comments: