Friday, September 19, 2008

Undirected Blog #3

I was so excited when I realized that our next assignment was about the Near East. I am so amazed everytime that I learn something new about the cultures of the area. The architecture and sculptures are what interest me most. I find it hard to fathom how they were able to build such large and intricate dwellings, like the ziggurats of Sumer.


I am also fascinated by the development of writing. The change from pictographs to cuneiform is such a huge step forward, and it's hard for me to understand how the people of this time period were able to accomplish so much in the way of arts and culture so long ago.

My favorite visuals from our text this week were the reconstruction drawings of the different city-states. Once again, I can't believe how much these people accomplished with so little technology and no electric tools. I'm hoping to pursue a career in city planning, and it really makes me wonder how much planning these cities took, and how long it would have taken to complete them.

Living in one of these places would be quite the experience as well. It would be such a different way of life, so much slower than what I am used to. I would imagine there would be no such thing as immediate or instant, and it would take so much patience to complete a single project or task.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Seriously, I wonder how many people were involved. How did they coordinate all of that... and what type of education did their engineers get?

Tc said...

I do agree with you that it is quite an amazing feet to create these monuments of humanity without the moderm machinery we have. What else is funny is how much dedication these people had to creating these buildings. Today if a building takes five years to go up, people tend to get very irritated with the construction and want it finished. In the times of the Egyptians on the other hand it took many decades to even finish one pyramid! Absolutely amazing dedication.
I enjoyed your post.